Sunday, May 4, 2014

12 Years of Bliss

I just had my 12 year wedding anniversary.

You know what I realized yesterday as I thought about where I am at in my life right now?

I am different.  Really different.

I listen to things like Trap & Bass, Indie Pop, Dream Pop, Folktronica, Synthpop, Folk Rock, Indie Folk, Jazz, Indie Rock, Space Rock, Electronic Rock, Industrial Metal, Trance, and Dubstep.

I own 4 pairs of jeans.  To put that into context, prior to our trip to NYC, I had purchased one pair of Sean Jean jeans in the past 15 years.  That's what I owned, 1 pair of jeans.

I now prefer a pile of vegetables to a pile of cheese (probably the hardest thing in my life to avoid).

I eat more vegetables than I knew existed 20 years ago.

I eat green leafs like Kale & Arugula.

The other day when I checked out at the grocery store, I had to teach my cashier what 5 of the vegetables even were so that she could ring me up.

I no longer to into "attack mode" when I ask questions.

I "reserve the right to be wrong" rather than insist that "I am always right".

I ask questions first and form opinions later.

I cook, do laundry, and grocery shop for our family on a very regular basis.

I buy nearly 100% of the clothes Rachel owns.

I watch a sports game maybe once a month. 

We have family home evening every week.

I give Rachel weekly massages (more often when time allows).

I speak all 5 Love Languages to Rachel.

Rachel has forced me to answer questions about the Universe that I frankly didn't care about before.

Rachel has helped me sort out social issues, gender issues, and I posses a metaphysics that would shame my "former self" who I thought "had it together".

I am at least 158% of the man I used to be.  I immensely proud of the man I am today.  I am proud of the marriage Rachel and I have together.  It is the most amazing thing on this Earth. 

I owe the man I am today to the refining fire of marriage.  Rachel has stuck by me, taught me patiently, and answered my questions on how to improve even more patiently.  I am grateful for the opportunity I have each year to reflect on it each anniversary.  There will be many more of them and I can't wait to see where I am as a person when we get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment