Sunday, May 4, 2014

How my ADHD Works.

So, in order to stay up long nights and keep motivated, I watch movies so that my brain has something to process while my fingers are typing.  I realize my experience is unique (not completely and totally...but pretty rare) due to my ADHD.  I actually heard that they "officially" dropped the "H" from ADHD and now you are either ADD or not.  How dumb.  The "H" for hyperactivity along with the "attention deficit" is what gives me my superpower.  They say that ADD means you can't focus on anyone thing because your brain processes too much outside stimulus all at once.  It's like turning on 10 televisions at once and asking you to focus on the one in front of you.  Most "normal" people can't do that anyway...but if you have ADD, your whole life is like that: 10 televisions on all the time.

You know what I discovered?  My "H" (hyperactivity) allowed me to have the energy to FOCUS ON ALL 10 TELEVISIONS AT THE SAME TIME!  That's right, while you can only watch 1 or 2, my brain can "monitor" what is going on with all 10 televisions at the same time and bring the most relevant information to the "front" of my mind for processing.  I work through things quickly, completing the easiest tasks first so that I can save more complex tasks for later.  It allows me to then focus on the 2 or 3 remaining televisions that are on once I've completed the 5 or 6 easy things quickly (remember the hyperactivity).

Eventually, when all other stimuli have been removed (the "televisions" get turned off as I complete each task) I am able to focus on large/long complex tasks without being distracted by all the other little things that "need to be done"...since they are all complete.

That's the big problem with "treating" ADHD.  Doctors want to focus on using drugs to "eliminate stimulus artificially".  If the person with ADD/ADHD improved the processes and procedures by which they completed tasks, they could eliminate their own distracting stimulus by completing those tasks one by one until they only have large complex tasks left.  THAT is how you treat ADHD: teach the person how to get and stay organized.  No drugs are required.

I learned this about myself around 16/17 and now I have perfected the process.  Every now and then there is simply too much to do and it's necessary to go to bed and then wake up when your mind is fresh and clear.  That makes it easier to prioritize, when you are able to add things to your plate in the order you'd like to complete them.

Sometimes you have to just take a night off even when you don't want to because having fun will relax you and then rejuvenate your body so that you can "get back into it" the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment